Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My first appointment at the Bariatric Center

On Valentine's Day, JP piled in to my car with me, and we drove to my work. Where I work and where the Bariatric Center is, is an hour away from our house. JP took the day off in order to accompany me. He is extremely supportive, and wants to be in on the whole process. I worked for half of the day, then we grabbed a quick bite to eat, and headed to the appointment.

Let me preface the rest of this by explaining some of my expectations. At the informational meeting, they gave us a BMI (body mass index number) of which they need, that makes the surgery safer. I knew that my BMI was higher than that number, and that they would help me lose weight in order to reach it. I was expecting to be given a diet plan, an exercise regimen, and some other useful information. I know basically what I need to do, I just need help with a plan to be able to implement it. These people are the experts, I'm not.

First we met with the dietitian. She went over the very basics of what you can and can't eat after the surgery, the stages, and whatnot. Nothing about pre-surgery.

Next came a woman that was to answer any questions about my insurance coverage. I did my homework beforehand, because I'm smart enough to know that I'm not going to even attempt something that my insurance wouldn't cover. Therefore, I didn't have any questions for her.

Third was the social worker and her student intern. I answered questions about my mental health, my job, my family, my marriage. I can understand the need for this, they want to make sure I'm going through this for the right reasons, and that I have enough support to get me through it. I am, and I do. They next asked my husband to leave the room and I took a 140 question bubble quiz, the type that you'd take before being evaluated for therapy. I guess this is just in case I was lying to them about being stable and happy and supported. Lame.

The end of the appointment provided me with a goal weight to be at by the time of surgery. I have 38 lbs to lose. I next set up my next 2 appointments, one for lab work, and then a follow-up with the dietitian, and a meeting with the doctor.

All in all, I was very disappointed, and depressed for much of the next day. I don't like feeling like I'm wasting my time. Now that I've had some time to think it over, I'm realizing that maybe baby steps are for the best. My habits are about to change for the rest of my life. No need to rush in to that at full-speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment