Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I Have Been A Bad, Bad Blogger

I know, you probably thought I'd died.  I promise that I haven't.  I'm not sure where to start, so this might be kind of jumbled.

The Perinatologist appointment went ok.  I was prepared to be sitting in a waiting room full of pregnant women.  What I was not prepared for was for one of them to be 16, and waiting for her gender reveal ultrasound, with her entire extended family, taking bets on what it would be, and discussing names.  I wanted to bash my head into the wall.  It was a small waiting room, so I had no where to go to escape it.

When discussing the upcoming appointment with my mother and younger sister, my sis inquired as to whether or not my genetic hormonal condition had come in to play with any of my doctors yet.  I have a confession to make.  I have no told any of my doctors for quite some time that I have this condition.  I have been in complete denial about it.  I took all of my symptoms, and blamed them away on something else, mostly my weight.  I was so scared that it would mean that everything was completely out of reach, and would be so much harder.  The truth is, they can all be explained by this condition, INCLUDING my weight problems, but they're treatable!

*Deep breath*

I have a mild case of Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH).  If you go.ogle it you're not likely to find the set of symptoms that fit exactly how it plagues me.  What it means is that I am cortisol deficient, and I went in to puberty at approximately 8 years of age.  For most of my life, I was on pred.nisone pills (a steroid), and even, when I was young, Lup.ron shots to prevent the premature aging that was happening in my body.  There's a lot more to it, but I won't go in to any more detail unless requested.

I gathered all my courage, and I mentioned this to the Perinatologist and his genetics lady.  They informed me that the cortisol deficiency may be what was preventing me from conceiving, and referred me to an Adult Endocrinologist.  My appointment is set for March 7th.  I am extremely nervous, but excited at the same time.  I'm likely to be put back on the pred.nisone, which terrifies me.  I give it the most credit for my weight gain and difficulty losing weight, and I'm scared that it will make me pack the pounds back on.

As far as the blood clot family history, there's not a lot that they can do without knowing specifically which factor effects my sister.  They didn't seem terribly concerned.  I will, though, always be considered high risk, because I've had gastric bypass surgery.  Enough time has passed that I confess I'm a little fuzzy on the other details of the appointment.

On the weight loss front, I've lost another 10 lbs, and the loss has really slowed.  This happens to everyone, at some point.  I have, however, graduated in to normal clothes sizes!  I'm wearing an XL top!  I've had my 6 month follow-up appointment, which went really well.  I am no longer Vitamin D deficient, and my blood sugar and AIC levels are out of the diabetes danger area, and well in to normal.  I'm doing wonderfully!

Sunday is the 3rd anniversary of my 29th birthday.  Sigh.

Thanks for putting up with me, and I hope you'll leave me some more comments!  I'll do my best to update after my AE appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment